PANZER Expansion #4: Small Unit Actions and Combined Arms~~France 1940
First Printing~~MINT IN SHRINKWRAP
from the GMT website:
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to play this expansion, you will need a copy of the Panzer base game; ownership of Panzer Expansions 1, 2 or 3 is NOT required.
This expansion set includes the most significant French forces that saw action on the Western front in 1940. Also included are the German forces that invaded France and the Low Countries, flanked the Maginot Line, and finally pushed on into France. The playbook includes rules for special units, new optional rules for Staggered Initiative, Command Span, and others, 12 riveting scenarios (including 2 historical scenarios depicting the fierce battle for Stonne), and unit summaries for the French and German units.
In addition to all the other features included in this expansion, there are two new exciting extras. The Panzer Leader rules and the respective 7/8” Leader counters of various enlisted and commissioned ranks for all forces – French, German, US, British, and Soviet; and the unique hull and turret damage rules and the respective 5/8” counters.
Ownership of Expansions 1, 2 or 3 is not required to field the German forces, they are all here including the STuG IIIA and Hs 123A-1 aircraft, which were not previously available. This expands on those German units included in the first three expansions – no unit IDs are duplicated. Combine the German units from all of the expansions to create customized scenarios on either the Western or Eastern Front.
The TO&Es booklet includes details for the French and German forces covering the 1940 period, including the five major divisions from the cavalry and infantry arms of the French Army, including the Mechanized Light Division (DLM – Division Légère Méchanique) and the Armored Division (DCR – Division Cuirassée de Réserve). German forces include panzer, motorized infantry and infantry divisions, as well as the Grossdeutschland (mot) Infantry Regiment.
Finally, this expansion includes the next 4 double-sided geomorphic mapboards, modeling the terrain found in the French countryside including 2 historical maps depicting the terrain in and around Stonne. Add these to the geomorphic mapboards from expansions 1, 2 & 3 for added play and many possible battle combinations.
Leaders add a powerful new dynamic to Panzer. They represent individuals of various ranks and skills that can influence gameplay in a number of unique ways. In almost all cases, scenarios do not indicate the presence of any particular leader or leaders. Players may freely add any number of leaders or none at all. Just decide by mutual agreement. Follow the recommended command structure below, or just go with whatever works. There is no correct or incorrect approach as battlefield conditions make fore very fluid situation. There may be occasions where junior officers or NCOs find themselves in overall command or senior officers are commanding only a small contingent.
- (A) AP Combat: + AP Hit Modifier
- (G) GP Combat: + GP Dice Roll Modifier
- Close Assault: + dice roll modifier (use (G) modifier)
- Hand-to-Hand: + dice roll modifier (use (G) modifier)
- Overrun: + GP dice roll modifier (use (G) modifier)
- (S) Suppression Recovery: - dice roll modifier
- (M) Morale: + dice roll modifier
- (P) Spotting: + Spotting Ranges modifier
- (R) IF Response: + Indirect Fire Response modifier
Leader Counters - 7/8"
Includes 10 double-sided counters per force, 50 total counters.
- Tank Battle at Crehen, Pt. 1: Crehen, Belgium, 12 May 1940
- Tank Battle at Crehen, Pt. 2: Crehen, Belgium, 12 May 1940
- Delaying Action at Ernage: Ernage, Belgium, 14 May 1940
- Rommel Crosses the Meuse: Bouvignes, Belgium, 13 May 1940
- Checking the Thrust: Philippeville, Belgium, 15 May 1940
- The Capture of Stonne: Stonne, France, 15 May 1940
- Counterattack at Stonne: Stonne, France, 15 May 1940
- De Gaulle's First Action: Montcornet, France, 17 May 1940
- Déjà vécu: Montcornet, France, 19 May 1940
- Closing the Trap: Lille, France, 28 May 1940
- The 6th Panzer is Delayed: Monthermé, France, 15 May 1940 - Solitaire Scenario
- Billote's Charge: Stonne, France, 16 May 1940 - Solitaire Scenario
The two solitaire scenarios utilize a game driven AI system for French forces in the 6th Panzer is Delayed and the German forces in Billote's Charge.
Each of the Stonne scenarios play out on the two historical maps included in the expansion.